“Between the Pines”
“Go inside the making of Gravity Falls with Alex Hirsch and Time Baby in Between The Pines“
Earlier this evening, the 43rd Annie Awards were held which included nominations for Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Wander Over Yonder, all of which were nominated for Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Children. Wander got the gold in Best Children’s TV show and Gravity Falls brought it home in Outstanding Achievement in Directing. Both award speeches can be watched after the Break. All nominations are below.
As Alex Hirsch mentioned in his farewell to the series, the finale won’t be the last we see of the Mystery Twins. Here’s the promo for Between the Pines, the behind-the-scenes special hosted by the man himself (and Time Baby), coming up 8 days into February (and 7 days before the finale). Watch it after the break.
Multiple sources have now confirmed that the series finale of Gravity Falls will air on Monday, February 15th, at 7pm ET/6pm CT on Disney XD. The one-hour episode, “Weirdmaggedon 3: Take Back the Falls,” will be the 41st and final episode.
In addition to the finale, Kidscreen is reporting that Disney will release an official book entitled Gravity Falls: Journal 3 which is set to be released in July.
Prior to the show’s finale, there will be a retrospect hosted by Time Baby (Kevin Michael Richardson) featuring special commentary from series creator Alex Hirsch on Monday, February 8th on Disney XD. On February 12th (starting at 11pm ET/10pm CT), Disney XD will air a 68-hour marathon of the show leading into the series finale. The series is said to continue to air reruns afterwards on Disney XD and Disney Channels worldwide.
In other Gravity Falls related news, a preview for the upcoming episode appeared on the internet over the weekend. The original source was the “Mystery of Gravity Falls” YouTube channel, but the preview was live for maybe a few hours. Thankfully someone snagged a copy, so if you want some preview spoilers, check out this copy.
It was a most interesting 2015 in terms of animation and with the shows we covered. There have been so many stories this year with our shows and so much waiting between episodes because networks. Welcome to our Year-in-Review with the top five stories of 2015.
5. Littlest Pet Shop to close after Season Four: On October 6th, it was announced that Season Four would be the last for Littlest Pet Shop on Discovery Family. While it started off well in terms of viewership, sometimes on par with MLP, the viewership slowly but surely faded away. But it turned out viewership wasn’t the problem, selling toys was and that’s why Hasbro pulled the plug. It’s the hard truth when the show is based on a toy line. It’s a disappointment in a way because Season Three finished strongly and Season Four may have some interesting arcs down the line, but it could never quite reach the heights of MLP.
4. A Star debuts and gets renewed: It got a little weird, got a little wild on Disney XD this year as Star vs. the Forces of Evil debuted to over 2 million viewers on Disney Channel on January 18th. The next month, it was announced it would be renewed for a second season. The run on Disney XD started on March 30th and now has aired 23 episodes. It had a bit of a feeling out phase as to what kind of show it wanted to be before finishing with a rather stellar arc, introducing a new villain, and a hook having to deal with Star’s wand. Star averaged over 617,000 viewers per episode on Disney XD and we’ll see if it can be one of the leading Disney XD shows in 2016.
3. Hiatus (Un)happy: This reminds me of the old joke, “What do [network executives in this case] and a preacher have in common?”. The answer is that both make you stand up and yell, “JESUS CHRIST!” Rather than running out episodes on a weekly basis, it seemed like ALL the kids networks seemed to air new episodes in an erratic manner. Chief among them was Disney XD and Gravity Falls which didn’t air episodes on back-to-back weeks at all in 2015. MLP came back after an 11-month hiatus in April, only to take another two-month break to air the second half of Season Five. Cartoon Network seemed content to air Steven Universe five episodes one week and then air each Thursday a couple months later.Wander Over Yonder and Star vs. the Forces of Evil also had, or currently have, their hiatuses. Quite frankly, it was annoying to fans and especially annoying to us at Derpy News. In truth, networks have been doing this for a few years now with live-action shows, but to be jarringly inconsistent with scheduling tends to do more harm than good with shows.
2. MLP’s 100th Episode and 5th anniversary surprise: There were so many stories coming out of Equestria. Friendship is Magic was renewed for a sixth season before Season Five began. The Mane Six made a cameo in the NFL’s Super Bowl commercial. Plus, fans are counting down to November 3rd, 2017, when the movie comes out. Two events stood out this year on FiM. The first came on June 13th with the airing of the 100th episode. The background ponies got their day in the spotlight and it was well-received by the fandom and especially this reviewer. Then on October 10th, the fifth anniversary of the show, a much bigger surprise came as the Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks In the end, it turned out to be a happy accident that this episode aired when it did, but it would be the most talked about event this year. Fans thought this would occur in Season Five, and there were clues here and there, but none ever thought it would be during the 19th episode of the season and there was no warning whatsoever that it would occur. If the 100th episode was a thank-you to fans, this event was the surprise present wrapped in a bow tie. Oh yeah, the season was very good as well.
1. Gravity Falls to end after “Weirdmaggedon”: This came as a major shock. On November 21st, series creator Alex Hirsch announced that the three-part “Weirdmaggedon” arc will end the show after just 41 episode. The one-hour finale to “Weirdmaggedon” will air sometime in 2016. The show had produced some major twists towards the end of the second season with the reveal that Stan’s brother was the author of the journals and emerged from the alternate dimension. The show broke records for a cartoon on Disney XD breaking the one million mark on the channel when it did appear. However, all good things come to an end and Hirsch said that he never meant to “go on forever and ever”. It’s just that the end is coming so suddenly and to many, feels way too soon. Disney XD ended one Summer with Phineas and Ferb earlier this year, it will end another next year in Gravity Falls.
Best of the Rest in random order:
Next up, we’ll preview what to look for in 2016.
For us the convention season 2015 is over and we still have a few copies of our Bound Together comic anthology left, so for the first time ever we’re opening online sales!
Are you looking for the perfect Christmas present for a brony friend or for future you? Have you not had the chance to score a copy of Bound Together at a convention near you? Then order now, because now we can still get it to you in time for the celebration! We ship worldwide, so you can give it to anyone anywhere on the globe.
As always, 100% of the proceeds go to the Against Malaria Foundation where they will buy mosquito nets to protect people from malaria and other diseases.
Our new charity album, Building Bridges, has premiered and our new Seeds of Kindness fundraiser for the 2015 Christmas season and most of the year 2016 was launched with a bang: within just a few days, you have contributed over $3,000, including matching funds! Thanks to your efforts, the Against Malaria Foundation will save a person’s life with this contribution!
When you donate, you can download the latest album, Building Bridges, as well as all our eight previous albums. Now is a great time to donate because the Against Malaria Foundation needs to fund several new campaigns against the disease in 2016!
Below are a few questions about our program that many have asked about. If you have other questions that are not answered here feel free to ask them in the comments on our website.